Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Waiting

I ordered an MP3 player a bit ago from an internet site. I remember going nuts while I was waiting for them to send me a tracking number; then I went buggy wondering why it wasn't moving through the system faster.

Normally, when I order electronics from an online vendor, I pay to have them shipped faster. But, normally, it's a computer or something pricey and the extra expense doesn't really feel like very much added.

But - with this little player - it was adding nearly 25% to the price of the purchase. And, that got me to not pay the premium. So, I waited and I waited and then, I kinda forgot that I had ordered it at all. I forgot so much that, when it did arrive, I was surprised.

Generally speaking, I hate waiting. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it! I don't even like waiting to give my wife her birthday or Christmas gifts ... if I buy them early, I just want her to have them right away. Making her wait to receive, making myself wait to give ... seems mean.

I guess God doesn't mind that I think of Him as mean from time to time. He seems to make me wait all the time, and usually wait right up to and past the point of my ability to rationally deal with (well) waiting. He pushes my limits all the time: He either likes seeing me go all bug-nuts or He's on some program to make me grow. (And there are times when I'm pretty sure that (sometimes) it's both.)

And then, there is Tim.

Tim: who is always in motion; Tim: who never stops (to think, or breath, or reason, or listen). But, Tim is six and expecting him to wait (much less wait patiently) is like expecting a tree to grow wings and start walking. And, part of my job as a good dad, is to help Tim understand the need for waiting and the many wonderful things we can do while we wait.

I try to explain that time is a gift and we can do so much in the times we have to wait. We can even have fun or be productive or be creative (which is productive + fun). He looks at me like I just told him that I love pretty, pink ponies. And I realize that he must think that I either like seeing him go bug-nuts or that I'm on some program to try and grow him -- and I'm pretty sure that most times, it's both.

So - to recap: #1 - I hate waiting. But, I should learn to love the time spent waiting; because there's just so much that can be done with that time. #2 - Tim hates waiting. #3 - God is a better parent than I am and I should listen more.

Hopefully, if you were waiting on this blog post - it was worth your time. And, you won't have to wait so long for the next one.

Peace - Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home