Thursday, July 06, 2006

Worship, part 1

Last night, my most excellent friend Cynthia, led our Wednesday night song service. Depending on which side of the church you were on – it either went very well or very badly. The musicians were pretty unhappy with the way things went (more on the in a bit). The congregation (or the ones who spoke up) said they felt the presence of God during the service.

So – what’s up and who’s right?

Certainly, the musicians are – says the piano player. We weren’t together. We were often playing to multiple rhythms. We seemed to be fighting each other for most of the service. Don’t get me wrong – I’m not blaming anyone. I’m blaming most everyone (of the musicians); I will step up and take the lion’s share of the blame. Anytime the piano player is fighting the drummer and bass player for the rhythm – the piano player is wrong.

Cynthia clearly had done her praying before time. Her songs lined up with the Word that was opened up for us later in the evening. I should point out that Cynthia doesn’t play an instrument – and (at times) is at the mercy of those of us who do. It would not be unfair to say that we let her down a little.

That being said … I think that those who felt the presence of God were also right. God is not Andy-dependent; or even the Believers Fellowship Worship Team-dependent. God is God-dependent; and when His people start to press into Him, He will be found.

So, what did I learn?

Well, my dad always said you learn more when you fail than when you succeed. And that’s true here.

My first lesson is that I need to listen to my fellow musicians more. If I’m fighting the drummer or the bass player for control of the rhythm, I need to check myself.

My second lesson is that God moves regardless of what the worship team does. I think that the worship team can help; but when His people seek Him, He will be found.

The third lesson is this: Looking back, we (the musicians) should have stopped the worship service – prayed and taken a moment to get on the same page. In basketball, when his team is in trouble – the coach calls a timeout. We need to be more ready to break something that’s not working and re-set it. We need to let the intercessors in the congregation know when it’s time to intercede for us.

Fortunately, I’ll get a chance to put these lessons into action Sunday when I lead worship. If you think of yourself as a praying person (and you should), please begin to intercede for me.

Thanks!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home