Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Judges and Ruth

I am reading the Bible all the way through - or that's my plan. In my years as a Christian, I have never read it all and I am looking forward to discovering all of God's word. Late last week, I turned the corner from Joshua to Judges.

Judges ... I thought that I knew most of what was in here. But, I didn't. Oh sure, I knew about Deborah, Gideon, Sampson ... but then there were the more disturbing stories. Ending with the Priest who sent his wife out to be gang raped and then chopped her up into pieces and sent her dismembered corpse out to the rest of the nation as a call to arms.

I sat in my chair and wondered just what kind of God allows this to happen - and really - I have no answer to that. I wondered what the lesson here was and I prayed about it. I didn't get an answer; I didn't have more peace. I need to pray more.

But, I also could stop reading after that story. So, I turned the page to Ruth. The book was so thoroughly enjoyable and full of hope and grace that I read the entire (albeit short) book in the same sitting. Ah - my pallet was cleansed; my peace restored. And I marveled at this non-Jew who was the great-grandmother of David and (great-great-great grandmother) of Jesus.

God used this woman - an alien - as part of the line of Jesus. It's something wonderful.

Andy

Listening to: Chris Tomlin - Live from Austin Music Hall

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home