Wednesday, August 23, 2006

Sometimes, Church Be A Trip

OK. So, I lead worship tonight (Wednesday night). Today was not easy for me, lots of distractions – lots of things to lose my cool about. Lots of temptation to get off into my flesh. But, I was prayed up and I had run my set several times and I was comfortable – more or less – with all but one song (You Are Good – by Israel Houghton). You Are Good is a great song and it really moves; but it’s beyond the current musical skill of our Worship Team (mostly because it is not one of those songs that can just “come together”. This is one of those timing and precision songs; and we just don’t spend enough time practicing as a band). Bottom line – after trying to get it down myself, I decided that I needed to ditched it for Open The Eyes of My Heart. The set was: 1) Listen In The House; 2) Father, Spirit, Jesus; 3) Open The Eyes of My Heart; 4) Come Holy Spirit; 5) Praise The Name of Jesus; 6) I Worship You Almighty God. To give credit where credit is due: on his New Season Live CD Israel Houghton does a medley of Come Holy Spirit (I need thee every hour; Praise The Name … and I Worship You…). All I did, was figure out what he was using as a transition and just pretty much did it the way that he did – only I’m not as hip or as skilled a piano player as he is. But, it went pretty well.

Listen in the House – if you don’t know it – is kind of a worship rap/chant song. I pretty much hate that song. But, singing/chanting/rapping it really does something to my flesh – mostly kicks it in the butt and closer to the curb. So, whenever I feel so led – I try and put that song in my set. With the bad day that I had had today – that song was just the thing I need to use to crucify my flesh. I would (however) like to add a verse:

“Listen to your heart – there’s a brand new beat – there’s a brand new beat of Love!”

Things went well; I think that I had most of the congregation in the Presence of God. The worship seemed – right (for lack of a better word). As we faded out of the last song and into some chords, PJ took the mic and he started some singing in the spirit. It was good – really good. Others started in and soon we were back into the swing of deep worship again. As I felt things were winding down, I felt that God was telling me that it wasn’t time just yet. Someone had a word that needed to come forth. I prayed (to myself) that God would give boldness to whoever needed it to bring the word forth. I was just about to tell PJ not to wind things down yet – give the word a chance.

Then – he asked the leader of our Dance Team to come up to the front. I thought that he was going to ask her to dance while we played something. Until he asked her take over for me on the piano. But – I was at the piano …

A few minutes later, PJ had me sitting in a chair facing the congregation and he was giving them instructions for how to pray for me and how to listen to God for words for me. I sat there – there was nothing to be done about it really. I am not really a person who likes to be in the spot light. But, there I was — *in* the spotlight; nowhere to run; nowhere to hide. On the one hand, I had been right – God did have a word for someone; on the other hand, that person was me. So – really – that’s like too good things. I sensed something; and that something was for me. This is the first time that anything like this had ever happened to me in front of so many. It was both terrifying and wonderful – very humbling.

Words came up for me. They ran (mostly) in two veins: First. Encouragement and exhortations to lead worship. Those were some really good words over me – and I took them to heart. The second vein involved provision; knowing that God is my source, and that I need to trust God more than I have in the past. The words meant something to me – more than I am able to talk about here. But, I believe that I have a good deal of specific seeking to do to make sure that my life is aligned with His divine destiny for my life. More as things become clear to me on this.

After the service, someone asked me how I felt and said that I looked a little freaked out. Well, I felt great – but I was pretty freaked out. Like I said, I’m not used to be a spectacle and I was. But, it was a good thing. It made me stretch; it built me up, and it really showed me just how much God loves me. Don’t tell anyone – but I’m His favorite (and so are you).

Some random thoughts on the direction of Worship:
I have been praying to become a more prophetic worshiper (and worship leader). I believe that God is ready to begin moving on His Bride through prophetic worship. I think that the more we push ourselves into places outside our comfort zone and the more we learn to lean on God, the more He will use us to do great things. I believe that the Body needs this kind of refreshing, healing, and empowerment to go outside the walls of our church building and really become “the Church”. The new thing – whatever that might be – is nearly upon us.

Upcoming (probably blog-worthy) events:
Tomorrow - we're (my new home group) is doing a prayer walk around several area school. I'm very excited about this.
On Sunday - my dad is being ordained as a deacon in his church. I'm proud to be attending the service and very proud of his election to deacon. I think that he will make a fine deacon. And now that he's retired, he might need something to occupy his time. Until he finds golf - that is. :)

Peace - Andy

1 Comments:

Blogger boromax said...

Wow. That is so awesome, Anj.

...don't know what else to say!

Can't wait to hear about the prayer walks!

E.

7:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home