Sunday, July 30, 2006

Holy Spirit

This is something that I have noticed my pastor doing recently. When he refers to "the Holy Spirit", he calls him "Holy Spirit" - no "the". For a while, it bothered me - ok, bothered is too strong a word. Then, I began to do it myself every now and again (as we pick up phrases from people we listen to). And I started to examine just exactly what I was saying.

And - I think I have it figured out. I guess that PJ did it on purpose, he's a pretty smart guy. But losing the "the" from Holy Spirit makes Holy Spirit a name and not a title. For me, it was one of those "subtle moments of revelation" ... sure Father, Son, Holy Spirit ... blah, blah, blah ... no ... really - Father, Son, Holy Spirit. Three people - three guys (if you get down to it). We don't call Jesus "the Jesus", Jesus was never that pretensious.
So - after some thought and examination - I'm not only happy with him (PJ) dropping the "the" (not that he looks to me for permission for anything); I'm embracing it myself. Thinking it will help me think of Holy Spirit as a person, an individual (1 of 3) being and someone who I can communicate with (in ways of than - OH God! Help me!).

Just some random thoughts on a very early Sunday morning.

I'm going to bed now so I can go to church in the AM. Andy

1 Comments:

Blogger Spiritual StarScaper said...

That IS pretty cool! It certainly makes 'the' Holy Spirit a lot more personal. I wonder why there's a "the" distinction anyway - as if there's more than one Holy Spirit out there but the Spirit of God is THE top Holy Spirit... :)

1:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home