Thursday, July 06, 2006

unexploded ordnance

imagine my surprise when my parents called me up today to say “hey! the police have sealed our neighborhood! they say that there’s an unexploded bomb somewhere.”

“cool” i said – “or keep your heads down” – or something useful like that. the bomb – which was a vietnam-era mortar – was buried in a house that was right next to one i used to cut when i was a kid. so – i was never in any real danger (which is good to know this far from the fact).

i’m not sure why a vet would need to abscond the ‘nam with a mortar … but the best part was that it was LIVE – fuse primed and everything (if the police can be trusted). my parents live in a nice little southern town – and i have never (ever) known anyone there to need indirect fire munitions to keep people away from their house … and no one grows pot in the city limits. so, again, i can’t figure out what the motivation was. other than “how cool is this – a mortar round!. let’s impress girls.”

i have been around many girls and none (ok – one, but she was hella spooky) liked guns – much less this kind of thing. so, i’m still confused as to why the dude wanted the thing. but – he was a vet and i’m willing to cut him the benefit of the doubt just based on that.

good news – my mom just called to say that the explosive has been rendered safe by some kind-hearted civil servant (and really – thanks for looking out for my folks!).

that’s my weird story for the day (and i hope my only unexploded bomb story for the month (at least)).

peace – out - andy

1 Comments:

Blogger boromax said...

So, Anj!
Welcome to Blogspot, etc. Is this your first blog. You are doing it very well, I must say. I am enjoying reading you.

You may just inspire me to return to MY blog, which is "PostPonderance" right here in BloggerLand.

Also, your recent mention of the egregiously outdate condition of my "homepage" at boromaxsite may eventually lead to a complete overall of that site, too.

AND, also furthermore in addition, one of these days I might just dial your number and talk to you in actual voice-to-voice communication and such like.

Except... I do not think I have your numbers? Maybe I do. I'll have to go look.

Oh, well. The blog is looking way groovy, mon.


esPESH'ly the hat.

ED

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home