Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Summer Movies Number 1

I loves me the movies. Three of my general fiction loves are Superheroes, Martial Arts and Science Fiction. So - this is my summer of movie goodness.

Some of these were movies I saw in second run theaters (formerly "dollar theaters" -- but everything goes up). The only movie that I have really wanted to go and see but haven't is Wall-E. Lyn took Tim to see that without me. Dark Knight opens Friday and I'm hoping to catch that "soon".


1. Iron Man: Expectations low - very low really. Loved it. That being said, this is not really a superhero movie for kids. Much like the comics, they seem to be making these movies for an older audience. The story was good; action was good. Robert Downey, Jr. was refreshing on the very flawed Tony Stark. The movie essentially retold the origin of Iron Man with some modern updating. And they threw in the (Iron Man #200) Iron Monger as the supervillain. I didn't mind any of the changes -- everything made sense. Jeff Bridges really (really) was menacing, he was great.

2. Speed Racer: Expectations low - lower than Iron Man. Loved it! Those "W" brothers do it again (and do it again like the first Matrix movie, not the other two). This movie was beautiful with "WOW!" special effects. The story was predictable, but it's Speed Racer ... did anyone expect that he would lose?

3. Kung-Fu Panda: Expectations low. Loved it. Very funny, very classic story. And the ending pointed back to one of my favorite (bad) martial arts movies of all time. The voice casting was amazing. Story was predictable (but, it was also a classic story).

Next time: Street Kings, Forbidden Kingdom, the Hulk (and maybe Dark Knight).

Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home