Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Summer Movies Number Two

Ah -- warm popcorn and a diet coke. Very little makes me happier than the simple pleasure of sitting in a dark room, in a comfy chair watching a movie with popcorn and a drink. So - here are my thoughts on my next batch of movies.

1. Street Kings: I loved LA Confidential and was looking forward to this James Ellroy movie as well. I got to see if for a dollar (and at that price, it's hard to feel ripped off (but not impossible)). First, this movie is not for everyone. Profanity and violence are rampant. If that kind of things bothers you, stay away. But, the story was wonderful. The turns and twists and ending remind me of classical stories. The acting was well done (Forrest Whitaker and Hugh Laurie were wonderful). If you are a fan of violent, hard-boiled, dirty cop movies (or even TV shows), you should check this out.

2. Forbidden Kingdom: Jet Li (who cannot act) and Jackie Chan (who is like 80) are combined for the first time in a martial arts movie. As I watched it, I noticed that Chan used a stunt man (and I was kinda saddened by that - until I realized that he's 90 and just can't do back flips anymore). I wondered ... why didn't someone suggest this ten years ago? Jet's acting hasn't really improved since then and they were both way more in their physical primes. The Jet/Jackie fight sequence could have been really something (instead of just good).

I have grown tired of "the wire" in my movies, at least in fight scenes. The mark of a great fight scene is (IMHO) foot-work. That kind of thing can't be faked and the foot work here was superb.

Overall, I liked this movie - but to be honest, I really wanted to like it. Watching Jackie Chan act is a gift. He's funny, charismatic and athletic. If I let it bother me, it does bother me that an American kid got drawn into this tale of Chinese mythology. But, only if I let it. Kung-Fu Panda was a better martial arts story (and had better action). But, I don't think you'll be disappointed if (if you like "Black Belt Theater") you sit down one lazy Sunday afternoon and catch this on Cable.

3. The Hulk: Ed Norton is a great actor. It's sad they gave him such a bad script. I really didn't like this movie.

Next time: Hancock and The Dark Knight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home