Monday, September 15, 2008

Look -- Down On The Earth

Sunday night, Lyn came home and pulled me outside. She wanted to show me how pretty the moon was. Even though trees partially blocked our sight-line, I could tell that the moon was in its full glory: luminous and wondrous. I went to bed thinking about the stars and moon: I really do love the night sky.

I woke up, my mind still contemplating how magnificent the night sky is: how amazing God's creations are; how amazing God is. I took my devotion time from "just waking up" into prayer and the Bible.

I read a couple of Psalms and then continued my study in Job. But soon, I began to think: people are more complex than the moon. God created the moon for us, just as He created the sun and the earth (and the rest of the universe) for us. And, while I gladly, freely and wondrously worship God in the beauty of the moon and the star.

I don't think that I have ever worshiped God in the beauty and the wonder of another person?

When I asked Lyn about this, she corrected me and pointed to our boys. I had to agree.

When she was pregnant, I often watched her with wonder and thanked God for His amazing creations. I watched as the boys were born into this world and have watched them grow with the same sense of awe and worship. But, they are not the only people God created.

I began to wonder just how precious are we to God. Are we more precious, more valuable, more awe-inspiring than the Moon? I think the answer is yes.

Yes: we are. As I walk, I need to start to see others in the awe of their creation and not the annoyance of their fallen-ness. I need to learn to worship God in the glory of these beings -- more splendid and loved than all the rocks (earth-bound or otherwise) in the universe.

It seems clear that I need to start with my wife and kids. I need to re-find the joy that I found in them in earlier times. Wait, back that up a second, please.

I need to start with myself. I need to find the joy that God takes in me; I need to reconnect to my purpose and begin to really live it. Then, once that's taken care of, I can move onto my family -- and the greater world outside.

Psalm 8 says that God "...crowned man with glory and honor...". If that's really true, I should look for that glory and honor in everyone I meet, giving God worship for His amazing creations.

Man is special. More so than the entire rest of nature. Man: made in the image of God; formed from the stuff of the earth; placed a little lower than the angels. What am I that You are mindful of me?

What are we?

Andy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home