Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Fried Olives and Rain

Lyn and I took a trip to Atlantic Beach last weekend. We left the boys with my parents and traveled onto the beach. This was the first time we had both been without both boys. And, they did just fine (we did too).

We found ourselves thinking about them often. Usually when we did, we would look at the other and say ... "I miss the boys." the other would nod. But, as much as we missed them -- it was good to have time away from them.

It rained on us for most of our trip and so we didn't have as many walks on the beach as we had wanted. But, we did have a great time together; ate a ton of great fresh seafood (and I had yummy fried olives), shopped in some cheesy beach stores; laughed and (I think) reconnected on some levels where we have been missing each other.

I certainly left with a much greater reminder of why I love my wife as much as I do.

I would be remiss to not mention the places where we had such great food: the Sanitary Restaurant and Fish Market and Cafe Zito

The Sanitary sits right on the Bogue Sound and has a lot of tables that face the water. The entire back wall is windows. I guess you could say that it's plain; but plain and good food and reasonable prices are pretty good mix. I highly recommend the cold boiled shrimp.

Cafe Zito also serves fresh fish as well as mostly local produce and homemade desserts. Zito is one of those places that we can't afford to go to often - but always try and make the most of when we do. Everything about this place adds to its atmosphere: it's in an old house and they have tables outside on the porch; the artwork, music, amazing wait staff (I have never had bad service when one of the owners waits on me) and (of course) the food come together to make a memorable date night. Everything looked so good -- we had a hard time deciding on what to get. I had the catch of the day and it was perfect.

If you find yourself in Eastern North Carolina, you should totally check these places out.

I am very thankful for my long weekend and my wife. I am a very blessed man.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home