Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Wonderful

I was thinking this morning about how much I miss singing the Messiah every Christmas season. And, I started thinking about the scripture the Handle used while composing that work.

If you're familiar with the work, you know that it's just a store house of scripture about the qualities of Our Savior. But, the verse that struck me (today) was Isaiah 9:6: For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given and the government shall be upon His shoulder. And His name shall be called: Wonderful, Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.

The first name Isaiah was told to give Jesus is Wonderful. Wonderful.

He really is. And, He's coming again. Wonderful!

1 Comments:

Blogger Scott Heine said...

I remember my folks taking me to a big "Sing-Along Messiah" event they held in San Jose. (Perhaps it's still going on? I dunno.) Everyone picked up a music book when they came in according to what part you wanted to sing. My mom was one of those "extremely joyful noisemaker" singers and kind of enjoyed listening, but my dad could harmonize well and would take on the bass parts. The entire auditorium became the chorus, and the sounds of the orchestra and so many voices all around me was almost intoxicating. There were little moments of humor breaking out around the room when a cluster of people found themselves off from everyone else, but the music kept going -- building and swelling and literally vibrating the entire theater. It was a HUGE sound! And every single performance of the Messiah since then has paled in comparison for me.

I'd love to take my kids to hear the whole thing somewhere. Sure, they've heard the famous chorus, but the entire work is pretty majestic. Listening to a recorded version can be fun (especially on headphones, with your eyes closed, imaging what Handel was trying to capture). But nothing beats a really big, live performance.

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home